It’s hard, spherical, and simply in the way. What is it? A nectarine pit. But that solid lump can be put to good use for flavoring oatmeal. Here’s my quick recipe for nectarine-flavored oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- 1 nectarine (or 1/2)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon shredded coconut
- Bring water to boil
- Stir in oatmeal, vanilla, (up to) 1/2 of the nectarine, and the nectarine pit
- Return to boil
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until you are pleased with the consistency (approx. 5 minutes)
- Transfer to bowl and remove pit
- Top with remaining nectarine and coconut
- Eat and enjoy!