Children are made readers in the laps of their parents.
The truth is, I cannot remember a time before books were part of my life. My mom was an avid reader, and we made weekly trips to the library to fulfill her passion for books. She would always let my brother and I choose a few books to peruse throughout the week, and she would read them to us over and over again. By the age of 5, I had my own library card (and my own overdue book fines).
Summer is approaching, and children will be spending more time at home. No matter how old your child is, there are dozens of age-appropriate books that they will enjoy. Below, you will find a list of ten books corresponding with a child’s age.
Read to your children every day, and teach your children to read to themselves. Studious readers become sensational leaders.
Top 10 Books Every Child Should Read
1. Newborn: White on Black, Tana Hoban
2. One-year-old: The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Eric Carle
3. Two-years-old: Corduroy, Don Freeman
4. Three-years-old: If You Give a Pig a Pancake, Laura Numeroff
5. Four-years-old: I Can Read With My Eyes Shut, Dr. Seuss
6. Five-years-old: You are Special, Max Lucado
7. Six-years-old: 13 Words, Lemony Snicket
8. Seven-years-old: No Longer a Nobody, Matilda Nordtvedt
9. Eight-years-old: Encyclopedia Brown, Donald, J. Sobol
10. Nine-years-old: Where the Sidewalk Ends, Shel Silverstein