It all starts with onion and green pepper.
And then you have to make a decision.
I don’t know about you, but I am terrible at making decisions. I always second guess myself.
Rather than making a decision when I make this recipe, I just bake both a casserole and enchiladas. It’s easier that way.
Despite my inability to make decisions, one reason that this recipe is great is that it is so versatile. You can roll enchiladas or layer a casserole. Dietary needs can be met by making it vegetarian (omit the chicken) or gluten free (use corn tortillas and gluten free enchilada sauce). If you are short on time, use canned chicken and canned enchilada sauce. The possibilities are limitless.
- 1 batch homemade enchilada sauce (Recipe from Gimme Some Oven)
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1/2-inch pieces (pro-tip: use scissors to cut chicken faster)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can black beans, 15-oz
- 10-12 tortillas (With each batch, I make two 8×8 pans using 5 corn tortillas and 7 flour tortillas)
- 1-2 cups shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet, cook onion and pepper for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper. Saute 6-8 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Lightly coat two 8×8 baking dishes with nonstick spray.
- To make the casserole:
- Cut or tear corn tortillas in half. Cover the bottom of a baking dish with a single layer of tortillas. Pour a small amount of enchilada sauce on top. Add half of the chicken mixture and beans.
- Add another layer of tortillas, enchilada sauce, and chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.
- To make enchiladas:
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with enchilada sauce.
- Brush each tortilla with enchilada sauce. Fill with beans, chicken, and cheese. Roll tightly and place in baking dish. Repeat until dish is full.
- Cover with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool about 5 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!
Have a fantastic Fiesta Friday! To join the link-up, click here.